2012-11-22

Mushroom Croquettes



baked not fried)  :)

I just love mushrooms.
Any kind.
I wish I was a mushroom finder and just go for a walk on the woods with my little basket on hand and collect the good stuff.
But I’m not.
So every time I find some new type of mushroom that I don’t know, I’m just grabbing the thing and anticipate to try it.
This recipe that I have today is not made using rear types of mushrooms but it’s sooo good! The baked thing is a plus but seriously you’re not going to miss a thing compared to the fried ones.

Ingredients (For 10 large croquettes or 15 to 18 small) idea from the Food Network magazine

3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (I used cremini and oyster)
Salt - Pepper
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/2 onion chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour,
1 tablespoon butter
A pinch of nutmeg
3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated shredded (I used Greek Kaseri cheese, you can use a white cheddar, gruviere etc)
1/2 cup panko
For the breading
1 cup breadcrumbs (put them in a frying pan for a while on medium heat just to give them a little color)
½ cup all-purpose flour,
1 egg beaten

How to make
 Measure the broth and milk add them to two separate bowls and set aside not in the fridge, ready to use.
Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the chopped mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper (not too much salt, the cheese is very salty), add the celery and the onion. Stir and continue sautéing for 2-3 minutes, lower the heat to medium-low and add the butter. Add the flour over the ingredients and using a whisk mix them all up and cook for 2 minutes.


Add the broth, stir with the whisk and add the nutmeg. When the sauce is starting to thicken add the milk, stir and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes more. The sauce will be thick enough by now. Remove from heat. 
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the cheese and half a cup of breadcrumbs. Stir with a spoon, cover with a lid or cling film and put the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (You can even make your batter from the previous day).
Take an amount of the batter using a tablespoon and mold in a round shape. Then lay the croquets in a baking dish lined with parchment paper and flatten them a little bit. 
In one bowl add the flour in a second bowl the beaten egg and in a third bowl add the breadcrumbs.
Dip the croquettes in the flour, then into the egg and then pass them through the toasted breadcrumbs. 
Put them in the pan and let them cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Bake the croquettes for 20 minutes (15 if they’re small). 
Serve with a  sweet and spicy mustard.



Enjoy!!!!

Cookie Swap!
I am participating for the second time at the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap and  I feel so good today because I received my first of the three dozens cookies that I'm going to get.
These wonderful truffles (deer poop hehe) from Kristy and the Gastronomical Sovereignty  just made my day! They put me in a mood to decorate and start baking! I will make my batches this weekend and sent them to my three secret receivers..
Thank you so much Kristy, your dark chocolate truffles are so delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis